Making a List & Checking It Twice
Your Home Energy Checklist for the Holidays
The holiday season is in full swing! Stockings are hung by the chimney with care, the halls are decked with boughs of holly and you’re making gift lists for your loved ones.
But, there’s one more list that’s equally important to double-check at this time of year: your home energy checklist. In order to determine if your home earned a spot on the Nice List, homeowners should conduct a quick-and-easy DIY energy audit. After all, your comfort isn’t just about temperature during the holiday season; it’s also about your home’s indoor air quality, humidity and energy efficiency.
Our Gift to You
Wintertime in Florida might not consist of blizzards and sub-zero temperatures, but we do experience our fair share of cold mornings, chilly evenings and the surprise cold snap. And so, during these few months, homeowners spend less time scheduling AC service in Orlando, FL, and more time firing up their heating system.
To ensure that your home and its HVAC system are ready for the holiday season, we recommend referencing the following checklist. This way, you can increase your home’s energy efficiency and spend your hard-earned money on important things, like presents, rather than a high utility bill. Consider it our gift to you!
- Check & seal leaks. Before you curl up on the couch with a cup of hot cocoa, take note of any air leaks. Inspect your windows and doors, and then check for gaps along the baseboard. Afterward, seal any leaks by plugging, caulking or weather stripping. The potential energy savings from reducing these drafts may range from 10 percent to 20 percent per year—and you’ll be able to cozy up to a more comfortable home and a lower energy bill.
- Check insulation & ductwork. Making sure your home is well insulated can go a long way! Since most of your heat gain and loss happens through the attic, be sure to check there first. AAH recommends a quick inspection—if your attic has less than 6 inches of insulation, the outside weather can penetrate your home fairly easily. Leaky and unsealed ductwork is a major deficiency in a lot of homes. You’ve already heated or cooled the air, only for it leak out.
- Look at your lighting. Energy for lighting accounts for roughly 10 percent of your electric bill. So, especially while you’re lighting up your home more often this holiday season, be sure to examine your bulbs and consider replacing with more efficient options, like LEDs. Although there is a higher upfront cost, these lights last up to 10 times longer and are cooler to the touch, posing less risk of fire. Even more, while decking your home in holiday lights, install a light timer to turn them on and off at specific times. This way, you can lower your home’s energy consumption and save money, while still staying in the holiday spirit.
- Pinpoint any energy Scrooges. Even when turned off, your appliances, electronics and holiday décor can consume small amounts of electricity. So, curb this usage by plugging all of your decorations and energy Scrooges into power strips. When you switch the strip off, energy won’t be drained from the wall outlet (and money won’t be drained from your wallet).
- Examine your HVAC system. Last, but certainly not least, have an HVAC professional inspect your heating and cooling unit. Or, maybe it’s time to upgrade to a newer, more efficient model. Now’s the time to consider what’s best for you and your family’s comfort.
Ho-Ho-Home Comfort Club
Once you’ve completed a DIY energy audit, turn to the American Air & Heat team for a more thorough assessment. Rather than routinely inspecting your HVAC unit yourself, our experts can handle the dirty work and make sure that your system is running at peak performance (and using less energy). As a member of our Home Comfort Club, you can enjoy priority service, improved comfort, document reports of each visit, fewer emergency calls, better cost control and much more.
Happy Holidays from Orlando’s Best HVAC Company
The American Air & Heat team wants to help keep your home comfortable and safe this season. Whether you’re in need of a duct cleaning, heating maintenance, or AC installation in Orlando, FL and beyond, our experts will find the solution that fits.
To learn more, call American Heat & Air at 800.715.7503 or visit our website.